Monday, June 9, 2008

R.I.P.: Jim McCay

Of the two balding brothers here at Flappy Days, I am clearly the one less interested in sports. (Case in point - I have absolutely no idea what or whom Brosephus is talking about in the post below.) This has started to change in the last couple years as I've developed a taste for bloodsports (specifically, MMA, and more specifically, the UFC), but throughout our childhoods, it was always Brosephus who collected baseball cards, who watched Monday Night Football with our college-football-playing (and coaching) father, and who read the sports pages (I was much more interested in...anything else). I still get surprised credit from him when I bust out obscure sports knowledge whose source is a mystery even to me (pulled out of my ass, most likely. Although, the fact that I know that Jaromir Jagr used to play on the Penguins lost its luster, oh, about 7 seven years ago).

So it's really saying something when an icon of the sports world dies and I actually recognize them. Jim McKay passed away last week, and the world will forever be richer for his oft-quoted formulation: "the thrill of victory, the agony of defeat."

Rest in peace, Mr. McManus.

No comments: