Friday, May 30, 2008

News of the Obvious


Dancing with the Stars is one of those shows - like Murder She Wrote, Matlock, and JAG before it - that (supposedly) millions of people watch but that I have never seen even a microsecond of (really. This is not like me saying "ooh, I would never watch Flavor of Love.") But I am pop-culture savvy enough to have a general idea of what the show is about. The premise is fairly clear from the title - a group of "professional" dancers get paired with a gaggle of non-dancer "celebrities" (Cristian de la Fuente anyone? No? How 'bout Marissa Jaret Winokur? Ok, moving on...), and attempt to impress a bunch of whiny judges for fame and glory (fame and glory sold separately. especially fame.). David Hasselhoff may or may not be one of those judges - I'm losing track of the fine selection of talent shows we now have to choose from. In any case, last night, while waiting for my TIVO to eat all the commercials in the season finale of Lost before we watched it, my wifey-to-be and I put E! Channel's "The Soup" on for some background, and there I learned that Kristi Yamaguchi was the winner of this season (the 6th!!) of DWTS. Yes, Kristi Yamaguchi the world class, gold-medal winning FIGURE SKATER. For those who have never watched the Winter Olympics, figure skating consists of people dancing...ON ICE. So, you tell me that Kristi Yamaguchi danced better than Adam Corolla, Penn Jillette and Steve Guttenberg (yes, that Steve Guttenberg)? Well, bless my stars, ain't that a kick in the pants. Marlee Matlin was robbed.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Actually, ice dancing and figure skating are different sports. I'm just saying...

Gail Hays said...

Greeat reading your blog